What is glycolic acid / glycolic peel? How my skin can benefit from it or is it the perfect chemical peel for me?
Find answers to all your questions in our blog.
Let’s start from the beginning and explain what exactly is glycolic peel or even wider – what is a chemical peel.
A chemical peel is a skin-resurfacing procedure. A chemical peel is a solution applied on the surface of the skin to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the process of growing skin cells. The skin that grows back is smoother. The aim of this treatment is to improve the appearance of the skin – for example, by reducing age spots, evening out skin tone, firming the skin, getting rid of scars or just to refresh the surface of our skin.
A chemical peel can be done alone or combined with other cosmetic procedures. And they can be done at different depths, from light to deep. Deeper chemical peels offer more-dramatic results but also take longer to recover from.
Depends on the type of chemical peel we can expect a different result. A light chemical peel improves skin texture and tone and lessens the appearance of fine wrinkles. The results after the treatment are subtle but increase with the repeated session. If you have a medium chemical peel, treated surface will be noticeably smoother. After a deep chemical peel, you’ll see a dramatic improvement in the look and feel of the skin. Results may not be permanent. Over time, age and new sun damage can lead to new lines and skin color changes.
With all peels, the new skin is temporarily more sensitive to the sun.
1. Glycolic Acid
Glycolic acid is a colourless alpha-hydroxy-acid (AHA). Glycolic acid can be extracted from fruits, sugar beets, and sugar cane. It’s a type of chemical exfoliant that dissolves the bonds between dead skin cells, allowing them to be wiped away easily, revealing younger, smooth skin below.
Glycolic Acid belongs to Alfa-Hydroxy-Acids (AHA) and is one of the most common AHA. It is also the strongest. It’s actually the smallest naturally occurring AHA. That means it can penetrate more deeply into the skin and easily compared to other AHAs you might know, like lactic acid, which is why it is so commonly used.
2. Benefits of Glycolic Peel / Glycolic acid
Glycolic acid not only exfoliates but rejuvenate the surface of the skin – change the appearance and texture of your skin. Reduction of fine line and open pores are visible. Additionally, the skincare products will better penetrate the skin after using glycolic acid. If one of your’s skin concerns is hyperpigmentation, glycolic peel can be a good solution as an evening out skin tone.
3. What to expect after applying Glycolic Acid on the skin
Glycolic acid can range in percentages to gently exfoliate the upper layer of the skin. You can choose between peels that are available only in advanced skin clinic (visit our Skin Clinic in London) or more gentle skincare products that you can apply at home. It’s important to introduce slowly any acid to your skin. Skin Experts recommend starting from only once a month and then slowly start to increase your use and acid concentration as your skin grows to become more tolerant. The best way is to consulate your skin regime with our Skin Expert (book here your consultation) to make sure you choose the best skincare products and treatments for your skin.
4. Who should add glycolic acid to their daily skincare regime?
If you are struggling with uneven skin tone or you noticed the first signs of fine lines and wrinkles, glycolic acid peel might be the treatment for you. Because it’s a powerful exfoliant, it can visibly reduce signs of aging and hyperpigmentation by weakening the connections between the cells in the top layer of the skin, which helps remove the dead skin cells, giving the skin a refreshed look and a glowing complexion.
This chemical peel can be used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, sunspots, melasma, and acne scars. Regular application of the acid can also help manage acne because it prevents pores from getting clogged.
5. Skin product & Skin kin treatment with glycolic acid
- Nimue Glyco Mask – contains glycolic acid and can be applied when a quick radiance or exfoliation boost is needed. Purifies the skin whilst the actives will allow for immediate tightening and exfoliation whilst moisturising. You will benefit from radiant, tightened and glowing skin.
- Nimue Advanced Rejuvenating Facial 35% Glycolic Treatment – if you want to see faster the results, book a professional chemical peel treatment in our Skin Clinic in London. Nimue Advanced Rejuvenating Facial 35% Glycolic Treatment is an active treatment designed for environmentally damaged, hyper pigmented and problematic skin classification. The glycolic acid treatment provides a controlled removal of skin cells, for deeper exfoliation to visibly enhance, renew your skin texture and tone. Visible improvement of the skin condition.